- Donec bibendum varius ipsum
- Aenean commodo pharetra mauris
- Duis autem vel eum iriure
- Create a new fitness habit starting right NOW. If you start right now, even 10 minutes a day in the morning will make a positive difference. Start at your level – so don’t jump in to a cross fit or some unreal workout. Begin with bodyweight exercises in your bedroom, a simple yoga series to invigorate your mind. Look at it as part of a Whole Life Wellness plan. Do tree pose while brushing your teeth. It all counts!
- Prepare and plan ahead. Remember the brain likes patterns and will go back to the olds ones if we don’t consciously change them. Preparing a new response is one way as well as planning ahead. If you know there will be treats without healthy options at gatherings, make sure to eat a healthy meal before going. It’s a lot harder to turn down cookies and goodies when your stomach is growling! Know what the holiday season brings – instead of resisting it, take a look at how your cravings are just that and you don’t have to act on them. Set up a new response – like grabbing a friend and taking a twirl.
- Make some of your social plans based around activities. This is such a beautiful season for walks in the park, hiking to see the leaves changing colors, playing outdoor games, taking a trip to the ice skating rink, you name it! Propose social events that get people involved and moving rather than just sitting around eating and drinking. The eating can be part of it and there are some wonderful choices I’ll share in another post. But if we look at the season as an experience of connection rather than just of food stuffs there are rewards that benefit our Whole selves.
I am sitting in a library across the Bridge from the Coove getting work done while my boys practice Aikido. I think I should be progressing with my Aikido too, but how will I fit that in as well as the countless other actions I need to get done before official teaching hours start with my boys.
In the past month I’ve gotten in about 4 real “workouts” for myself.
The frustration around the circumstances of closing my studio earlier this year is back. I feel the ceiling once again as I grow my personal training but have to turn people away because I cannot serve group classes without a bigger location.
I contemplate opening another location but still have to deal with the lease and repercussions of the discrepancy of 1500 square feet being measured in a variety of ways, none of them being actual square footage of the space.
This energy fills up my body and consumes my mind if I let it.
I feel stuck.
What I teach my clients and would suggest to anyone when they feel stuck is to start with CHI.
Although before that it would need to be AWARENESS. That action of PRESENCE. The actual practice of being PRESENT always shifts the CHI.
I am aware of the light and my body in a different way just by taking this action.
In fact, it seems as if the room is quieter, calmer now. I reckon it is actually my mind and energy that is calmer. I feel my feet. I sit taller. I breathe more deeply. I feel a sensation of gratitude and a tingle moves up and down my spine and down my arms and in to the key board.
I feel the stuckness as a shifting. I am PRESENT.
I-INTENTION (al) I intend to lead a life I love. To raise the over all vibration of the planet through my service. I have other intentions that are specific but at the moment I focus in on the intention related to Yogilachi and my dream for 10,000 strong globally shifting the outcome of this planet by how they lead their lives, their health by reclaiming their mind, body and food supply. By bringing vibrations to love and above.
For now I can imagine this and it is beautiful.
I now OBSERVE. I notice. My bum is stiff and tingly from sitting in the hard plastic chairs. The back of my head tingles. I watch as the letters come on the screen in a delayed way. No judgement. No good/bad/right/wrong. Just observations.
I continue to observe and subtlety I am aware of the lightening up I feel. The laughter that bubbles up that tells me I am releasing the energy that has kept me stuck. Stuck in a thinking that does not serve me. I no longer desire a baquette smothered in butter and a bag of chips – my reactive comfort food. In fact I don’t feel like I am depleted or need food. My energy has shifted. I feel like moving. I sit taller. I shift my pelvic bones so I am up on my sits bones. That releases my spine. My vibration is higher. Closer to the LOVE that I prefer.
TOOLS. I know that I need food and that is a valid tool to restore my body. But I will choose the delicious green salad with grilled chicken that I planned for. I will lovingly prepare this meal and sit down and enjoy it after I pick up my boys from Aikido.
I will get to the Aikido studio early so I can stand on the earth and practice Yogilachi Flow and Glow – the blend of Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi that has now become my regular work out of choice.
So that is what I did today when I felt stuck.
What do you do when you feel stuck?
The fitness industry has grown exponentially since it’s inception. Jack LaLanne, whom I consider the father of the fitness industry, brought physical fitness to the world in the 1930’s after opening the first gym when he was only 21 years old!
Over the many decades we have seen an evolution of fads that cater to every whim. From celebrity dvd workouts to pi-yo, people think they know what yoga is, or Pilates and worse they try to teach it. But it’s the blind leading the blind. What’s missing is the understanding and awareness of proper function of the body vs the conditions of the body. Each individual has their own set of circumstances.
As a holistic fitness professional we must assess each client individually. Without this component, to stick someone in a workout program without proper assessment is asking for trouble.
Many of my clients come to me after they’ve been injured elsewhere. In a yoga class, at a cross fit gym, playing sports. It really doesn’t matter, they’ve come to Yogilachi to get it right.
In order to get it right, all fitness professionals must have a foundation of knowledge in assessing. As fitness professionals we do not diagnose, we leave that to the MD and the Physical Therapist. However, doing a proper screening to evaluate current and potential injuries, lifestyle, posture and movement is a key role of the fitness professional.
If you are a fitness professional or someone interested in improving your performance whether in the gym or in a sport, it’s a good idea to know what I look for when I assess clients. I start with the common themes for fitness related injuries.
- Previous Injuries
- Lack of proper joint concentration
- Dysfunctional movement patterns
- Mobility/Stability Issues
I look for very subtle shifts in the bone structure – the muscles control the bones but the nerves control the muscles and so what is controlling the nerve function. Hmmmm. You have to look at the WHOLE picture. There is more that meets the eye than just a physiological structure. We have old energy patterns that can pull fascia in one direction. There could be hyper-mobility.
There is a lot more to this than a blog post, and experience goes a long way, but I’m making a point here.
The purpose of the any assessment I perform is to provide information and tools to identify limitations in movement, asymmetries, compensations, lifestyle as well as the bodies ability to repair.
A thorough intake with each client is worth the time to get the proper program in place for optimal results. Otherwise you are just guessing and worse following a protocol that may do more harm than good.
Sadly, I hear this over and over from the typical gym environment and even from inadequate PT offices and see the results after the fact.
Don’t take chances with your health and fitness. Get a Holistic Health and Fitness Screening from a trained professional who can then program you correctly for optimal results. Work with a professional who will follow through and carry the program out correctly with reassessments built in along the way.
At Yogilachi we believe your success comes from optimal movement, mindset and nutrition.
LOVE is the answer
- Nam at justo eget nulla
- Quisque eget elit quis sapien
- Nam consequat velit nec